Since this is Nutrition Month, I thought I might share some the ways nutrients affect our health or lack of health. I put a list of Nutrient Deficiency Signs and Symptoms in my book, not because I am Debbie Downer, but because people don’t realize that their poor health might be due to lack of specific nutrients.
Nutrition Nerd that I am, I want people to realize that EVERYTHING the body does is done with nutrients we get from food, and if needed, from supplementation. Because food is ideal, I also have a chart of nutrients and their food sources. Knowing what I need ALWAYS gets me eating more of the healthy foods that will provide that nutrient.
Here are a few symptoms that might be of interest to you:
- Itching ears = Need for vitamin A, C, B5, zinc and quercitin
- Vision loss = A, zinc, omega-3 fats, B1
- Hypertension = magnesium
- High cholesterol = B vitamins, CoQ10, magnesium, B3, fiber
- Hypothyroid = iodine, copper, selenium, B5, fatty acids
- Inflammation = A, B vitamins, C, D, E, quercitin, turmeric, essential fatty acids, CoQ10
- Muscle Cramps = magnesium, taurine, 5-hydroxtryptophan, inositol, calcium, potassium, biotin
- Carpal tunnel syndrome = B6, B2, magnesium, quercitin
- Depression = Magnesium, B vitamins, 5-hydroxytryptophan, tyrosine, choline, omega-3 fats, biotin
- Fatigue = Magnesium, B vitamins, B5, tyrosine, CoQ10
- Memory = Magnesium, B vitamins, B12, fatty acids, B6, Omega-3 fats, choline
Source: Dana Laake as cited in “Sick and Tired, to Healthy and Inspired: 9 Steps to Prevent Lifestyle Related Diseases by Abby Kurth, MPH, MS
Find anything interesting??