When someone declares a recipe “the best”, it’s always worth a try (Adapted from Lovely Little Kitchen). However, I cannot bring myself to add the 1 cup of white sugar the recipe calls for. Also, I feel best with more paleo/ketogenic ingredients so that is what I used. Here is my adaptation, though it is not strictly keto or paleo. I like that it uses the whole can of pumpkin – more moist and pumpkin-y and I don’t have a half used can of pumpkin sitting in the fridge. I like to make healthy as easy as possible so I used only one bowl instead of one for the wet and one for the dry ingredients. Enjoy!
- 1 3/4 cup flour (paleo flour mix, almond flour, gluten-free, oat flour, etc.)
- 3 tablespoons date palm sugar (this replaces the white sugar and has zero calories)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (or more date palm sugar or monk fruit)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted or other oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a standard size muffin baking pan with paper liners or by oiling each well.
- Measure out the flour, sugars, baking soda, salt and spices in a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Add in the eggs, pumpkin puree, oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir just until ingredients are mixed.
- Distribute batter into muffin tin.
- Optional toppings – pecans, brown sugar, raisins
- Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.